Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Advertising: It's Everywhere!


As an advertising major, I think it's important to understand just what makes advertising successful in the United States.
The following website shows recognizable products and their slogans.


I found myself looking at the various products on the above website and immediately my mind came up with the slogan to match. As media consumers, I don't think we realize just how much we are affected by advertising. In fact, I think it is safe to state that the average American could probably look at the vast majority of the products featured on the website such as McDonald's or Coca Cola and be able to recall their logos and slogans.

Advertising is everywhere. It is featured anywhere from television to billboards. We see advertisements all the time to the point where our minds don't even think anything of them. In other words, we are accustomed to viewing them. I can't even begin to think how many times I've recited the Subway slogan (Eat fresh) or sang the Mattress Giant jingle (Only at Mattress Giant, Ooh Aah). Ads are always in my mind.

Based on these observations, one of the main goals advertising is to be visible to the public. However, I think an even more important goal for the company is to not only be visible, but be memorable. It's one thing to see an advertisement, but an ad is more successful if it is remembered. Therefore, when I'm in the advertising business, it will be my goal to come up with ways to make a product, person or service creatively stand out to the viewer. I think I'm up for the challenge!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, sorry! I thought we had to do a response blog entry... but it seems not? In either case, here's a comment to make sure I'm covering both sides!

    I've never thought about it myself, but it's rather true, isn't it? Even today, I was absently humming the Subway 'five dollar foot-long' tune under my breath as I biked to my classes. It certainly didn't help my hunger... In either case, it really is everywhere. It's pretty hard to keep from running into it. Actually, it's more impossible, I suppose.

    In either case, it can't be entirely bad. Perhaps it's just a sign of how intelligent the ad-makers are. The tunes are catchy and certainly stick... In either case, I suppose it certainly won't be going away any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I completely agree with your view that advertising really is everywhere. It's woven so deeply into our society that ads really are a routine part of our thought process. When you're thinking about where you want to grab lunch or buy a mattress, those catchy little slogans never fail to pop up in our heads.

    And somehow even if you forget about someone's ad, there always seems to be reminders. I was at a Relient K concert on Friday, and they actually played the Subway five-dollar footlong song on stage.

    It made me hungry for Subway. How's that for effective advertising?

    ReplyDelete